Playing with the scale layouts, I notice that label lines still display
text at 1:5000, but label points do not. It also appears that label lines
stretch the text to match the length of the line regardless of the font
scale set in the options for the label line. I was hoping there would be a
way to set text so that if the font size makes the text size shorter than
the line when the text would not stretch out along the full line length,
but if the text scale made it larger than the line length then it would be
limited to the length of the line. This would prevent text growing to be
excessively large and run over the cave passage, but at scales where
smaller text scales are set it is not stretched out so much along the line.
Is something like this possible?

Footleg