+++ Bill Gee [2015-01-12 11:21 -0600]:
> One more update:
>
> I downgraded the tkimg installation on a test machine to the previous
> version.
> It fixed the problem.  Definitely something in the latest tkimg package.
>
> In Fedora-speak, the version that does not work is tkimg-1.4-19.  The version
> which DOES work is tkimg-1.4-18.

OK. Not sure how that corresponds to my 1.4.2+dfsg-2 versioning
(newer/older). But I presume it's just a packaging change between -19
and -19 that has broken things.

> Fortunately there are no dependencies on tkimg.  It can be uninstalled and
> reinstalled without affecting anything in the rpm dependency tree.
>
> As an interesting side effect - I found that xtherion works quite well when
> tkimg is not installed at all, with the exception that background images in
> the map editor do not load.  There is no error message - they just don't load.

Correct. Which is why that package is only 'recommended' (i.e install
by default, but don't require) in the Debian packaging. And if you
make your background images as .pbm (portable bitmap) then they work
fine without this package (which adds support for 'newfangled' formats
like .png and .jpeg :-)

Wookey
http://wookware.org/