Does colour by map not work? I thought it was an option specified in the
Therion book in this section:

• colo[u]r <item> <colour> ◃ customize colour for special map items
(map-fg, mapbg,
preview-above, preview-below, label). Colour range is 0–100 for grayscale,
[0–100
0–100 0–100] triplet for RGB colours.
For map-fg, you can use altitude, scrap or map as colours. In this case the
map is
coloured according to altitude, scraps or maps.
For map-bg, you can use transparent to omit page background completely.
For labels, you can switch colour on/off. If on, labels are coloured using
the colour of
associated scrap.

Footleg