I have seen bitmaps always rendered in one grey shade in the Loch viewer
(on Windows) when used as landscape overlays. It was a graphics card driver
issue in that case. So it is possible you are seeing a related issue on the
map editor. I found that if I viewed the same Loch model on a different
laptop (or in a virtual machine running on the same laptop) then it
rendered fine. But using the native OS on the laptop directly (I think it
was an ATI graphics chipset) just rendered a plain grey overlap.

Footleg