I was able to solve this problem as follows:

1. I used the instructions 'How to find where a Metapost error is
occurring' on the Therion wiki FAQ page:
https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/faq#how_to_find_where_a_metapost_error_is_occurring
This allowed me to identify the approximate location within my project
where the error was occurring.

2. I located all areas of type 'debris' within this section of the map, and
changed the fill type of all of these to 'water'. After doing this I ran
Therion again and this time the project compiled correctly (but showing
water fill on the output), proving that I had identified the approximate
location of the problem.

3. One by one, I changed each of the area fills back to 'debris' and
compiled the project. This allowed me to identify the individual area that
was causing the problem.

4. Once I had identified the individual area that was causing the problem I
adjusted its borders slightly (I actually split it into two separate areas,
but I don't think that was necessary). After doing this I ran Therion again
and this time the project compiled with no problems. All my debris areas
were now correctly drawn on the output. :-)

Tom