What is the different between "point dimensions" and "point passage-height"?

If i understand the therion book correctly:
- dimensions is ONLY for the 3D-tube generation and invisible in rendered maps - otherwise behaves as if "point passage-height [+<up> -<down>] would have been given.

Or are there any other differences? I noticed that the chamber height changes with "passage-height" also, not just "dimensions".