I managed to compile myself[*] but still get the same results.
If you don't get such errors i strongly presume that this is a problem either in the underlying libs but i think more probable an issue with my graphics card and/or linux driver.

Currently i run the following setup:
- Linux phobos 4.9.0-2-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.9.13-1 (2017-02-27) i686 GNU/Linux
  - Debian GNU/Linux 9 (debian stretch / testing)
  - lxde/openbox on Xorg
- Therion from GIT (commit ca1aa8f1b7b4760b9; Fri Mar 31 21:06:03); compiled against VTK 6.3.0
- old Fjitsu-Siemens Amilo Xa2528
  - with an GeForce 8600M GS viedo card
  - running on noveau drivers

On my stationary PC i cannot test this as loch hangs up itself (probably an issue with the proprietary nvidia drivers i run there)

[*] @wookey: at debian jessie i had some strange dependency problem with some dependant libs of other libs, probably caused by some older mixing of stable/testing; just wanted you to know in case you want to dig into it. I upgraded to debian stretch, where i could install all libs and compile without trouble)