On 16 February 2018 at 19:19, Bill Gee via Therion <therion@speleo.sk> wrote:
> Hello everyone -
>
> I am sure someone has come across this problem.  I looked all through the
> Therion Book and the online Wiki, but did not find anything that looked
> useful.
>
> We've been surveying a cave for several years now.  It is a tough cave.  The
> map is now a bit over 10,700 feet (3,261 meters).  There are several nearby
> caves that have been getting mapped as time permits.  They have been treated
> as separate projects, each with their own map.
>
> Last weekend a human-passable connection was discovered between the big cave
> and one of the nearby caves.  It is only for small humans, but it has been
> traversed.  The centerline survey should be done the next time we go out
> there.  It will only take a few more stations to survey the connection.
>
> First question:  Is there a way to combine the two maps so that Therion treats
> them as a single map?  I don't want to have to redraw over 300 meters of cave!
> I suppose I could simply add the th2 files of one cave to the other.  Is that
> the usual method?

Absolutely no way does it need to be redrawn, or the files moved. in
the map defintion of the first cave as add the map of the second cave,
maps can be nested and combined in many ways simultaneously

> Second question:  We have GPS coordinates of the two entrances.  Is it
> possible to specify both sets in the centerline data?

Yes more than one fix (gps) can be used, one gotcha to watch is if no
variance is specified on a fixed point they are taken as perfect and
not moved in the error distribution. With modern gps and a good signal
this is probably becoming close to true on the Northings and Westings,
but not always good for height

> Third question:  As I said, there are several smaller caves nearby.  It would
> be useful to have them all displayed on the same printout.  Is there a way to
> tell Therion to import a map and place it on the drawing using GPS coordinates
> to maintain scale distance?

Yes I have loads of caves on the same printout in the Cheddar Catchment
http://www.cave-registry.org.uk/svn/CheddarCatchment/

Andrew