Hmmm...  OK, one more WILD idea:

Print the colored map as an atlas.  There are a lot of parameters that go into
generating an atlas.  I suspect with some playing around you could get somewhat
close to getting the portion of the cave you want on one page of the atlas.

>From there it is a simple matter to extract one page from a PDF file and make
>it into a new file.

I was not anticipating that anyone but you would need ImageMagick.  I thought
the use case was that you would generate and distribute the image files, and
everyone else would simply admire your handiwork!  :-)

--
Bill Gee