> Have not solved the problem yet

Well at least I am not alone. But that's a shame in this case ;)
A problem shared is a problem where everyone is scratching their heads.

> Where there are multiple levels it is relatively easy just by having a map
> per level and offsetting them.

Absolutely. This would be my go-to. But sadly here, it's (mostly) not
multiple levels. It's a collapsed zone where there are several ways
through, with one of them being the most obvious. The walls of each of
them are often the walls of another one; you're just looking at the same
peeled off boulder from opposite sides. Hard to explain, even harder to
represent.

I have played with the idea of shading parts of the passage, to
highlight the main way. This could be done by fading out the lesser
passages (making them closer to the background colour) or emboldening
the main passage (eg. making it darker). The approach I am trying is this:

area u:fadeout

then this metapost:

#translucent white, matching background colour of page
def_transparent_rgb(a_u_fadeout_fill, 1, 1, 1)
def a_u_fadeout (expr p) =
 T:=identity;
 thfill p withtransparentcolor a_u_fadeout_fill;
enddef;

(I notice that "area u -subtype foo" doesn't seem to work but u:foo
does, so I cannot supply "-subtype foo" as an option for the area - a
bug I assume ... ?)

Anyway, the idea "works" but it has some ugly side effects. It acts like
a big boulder. It adds an extra layer on top of the passage colour, so
any passages behind it are doubly obscured, and get really hard to see.

And you lose the ability to clearly see depths, so I don't really like it.

Being able to tint a scrap background colour might work, but this idea
does not. Not in practice anyway.

So I am playing with a purple dashed line (thanks Axel!) and it looks
almost great. Almost. I would like it more if I could make it
translucent, but I think "withtransparentcolor" only works for fills.
For lines, it seems to act like a regular withcolor. Is there a way to
draw translucent lines with Therion's MetaPost? (Obviously I can
recreate the line using a series of filled dots, or two parallel lines
that get filled in between, but those are messy approaches.)