> Doing a join on room sketches like this is probably not possible.

Well, it is. But it will be a bit of work. You draw scraps with
invisible walls (or any other line with -outline out) as their edges
where there is no real wall. Personally, I would use a border with
"-outline out -visibility off" to draw the boundaries between scraps.

Then use line joins to join each and every set of points to the related
points in the other scraps. I personally use "point crystal" on each
line point to work out where they end up, and move the crystals to make
the lines match fairly closely, then snap the line points to the crystal
locations so that when the "join" gets used, it lines up nicely with
minimal warping. Now the crystals can be deleted again.

This allows you to solve this issue in all cases, including a survey
that has to halt in the middle of a mega chamber due to lack of time, or
because a survey tool runs out of battery. It even works in cases where
your sketches are drawn in different scales (such as with old style
paper surveys).

I attached an example, showing a chamber with multiple scraps extending
into it. Each green spot is a linepoint which gets used in the "join"
for all scrap edge lines that it touches. This approach works well only
if each scrap will get a similar background colour, so perhaps not
useful for "colour by scrap".

The "join" command for a pair of lines looks like this:
join one_line_id:1 another_line_id:3 -smooth off

Hope I am not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs...

(The main difference between using "wall" lines and "border" or any
other lines, is that "wall" lines get used when performing scrap "join"
commands, and the others do not. As long as you are using line joins
instead of scrap joins, it won't matter which line types you use.)

Hope this helps.

Tarquin