I finally figured out how to move the background images ...
"Double-right-click" is probably not an accurate description.  Every time I did
a true double-click with the right (or alternate) mouse button, nothing
happened.  The trick, which I discovered quite by accident, is that you must
hold down the right mouse button on the second click.  Do a
click,click-and-hold.  With that secret the background images can be moved
around.  Getting them positioned correctly, though, is difficult without some
transparency.

I have a simple photo editor (Gwenview) but it can only crop a rectangle.  It
also cannot set transparency.  I think I will have to spend some time with
Gimp.  I hauled it out this morning and figured out how to do a "lasso"
selection.  It was actually fairly easy.  I figured out how to import multiple
images, setting each one as a layer.  Now I need to figure out how to set
transparency on each layer.

I wonder if Bruce's faint memory about setting transparency with an external
editor worked because of using PNG format?  My own faint memory is that
xTherion uses different libraries to handle png and jpg files.  Handling of
transparency is probably a feature of the image library rather than xTherion.

Tarquin mentioned using invisible walls.  I have done that once when I mapped a
shelter cave.  That cave (really more of an overhang) was 200 feet wide and
about 20 feet deep.  I used an invisible wall to mark the cliff edge that was
the outer part.

For this purpose getting Therion to consider all of the room as "inside" would
be a challenge.  I have had situation where joining two passages left a white
triangle in the center because Therion did not think that was part of the cave.
 I have also done line end-point joins.  Those  are a real pain to keep
straight.  They work find when done.  In this case I will probably have to do
some of those to get the room joined to the rest of the cave.

The more I look at the sketches, the more I think we need another trip to this
room.  I think what I will try to do is merge all the existing sketches, then
print them on a single piece of graph paper.  Back at the cave I will add more
to that paper.  Scan it and use it for the background.

========
Bill Gee