On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 4:42 PM Andrew Atkinson <and...@wotcc.org.uk> wrote:
> On 23/11/2021 15:08, Benedikt Hallinger wrote:
>
> > I don't know PDF specifics, but it would be very handy to have "nested"
> > layers, i.e. submaps as separate layers in the main layer.
>
> That would be very useful, don't know if it is possible

There is some support for a tree-like hierarchy of the optional
content layers in the PDF specification, but you can't select/unselect
a group of sublayers at once. See the attached picture for an
illustration: you can change the visibility of the lowest-level maps
(the "leafs") only, not the higher-level maps or groups (the
"branches"). So it's not very helpful in this case except for having
some labels indicating the hierarchical structure of maps.
If all the tree was interactive, we could simply expand it to all
sub-maps to have complete and easy control of the displayed content.

Martin