Hi Tarquin

I have occasionally had unexpected behaviours due to conflicting layout
calls, and came up with the recipe here for hierarchy and order of calls
some time ago
https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/bds#order_of_layout_functions_called

As far as I am aware, the last called layout or statement always wins.
Certainly since I started using the recipe I have not noticed any problems,
and my layouts occasionally have conflicting parameters for a particular
setting (which is why I originally had problems - I was not rigorous about
call order).

Seems to conflict with your experience, maybe mine are simpler?

(I don't see an endlayout for your layout third - could that be something)

Bruce