We are experiencing some issues with deltas on our production server. Once
a record has been updated it can no longer be queried. We are unable to
query it using the updated record by the old or the new name. The record
appears to be gone from sphinx. When the issue starts happening it doesn't
happen to all record types, just a few of them... mostly the larger ones.
Furthermore, once the issue starts happening a full index and rotate does
not fix it. We have to delete these *.temp files for the indices that
stopped working. Once the files are removed everything starts working
again. Unfortunately we do not have steps to recreate it, however, one
hypothesis could be due to a large load. We are also using sidekiq to queue
up the deltas and another hypothesis is that unrelated code in other
sidekiq jobs has a segfault error or other really bad crash other than an
exception. Obviously those crashes need resolved too.

When this error starts the sphinx.log file will stop outputting the below
and once we remove the *.temp files they show up again.
[Thu Feb 16 18:10:23.185 2017] [17066] rotating index 'advisor_delta':
started
[Thu Feb 16 18:10:23.186 2017] [17066] rotating index 'advisor_delta':
success

Therefore, all the evidence appears that items are being removed from the
core index and not added to the delta index. One idea is that it happens
once these *.temp files show up in the indices_location. What are these
*.temp files? Is there another log file or log file setting that would help
us identify the issue here? Any other data points we should be looking at?

======TECH & SETTINGS======

sphinx: 2.1.5
thinking sphinx: 3.1.3
rails: 4.2.7.1
ruby: 2.2.3

mem_limit: 1024M
64bit_timestamps: true
enable_star: true
min_infix_len: 2
indices_location: /data/sphinx/indexes
configuration_file: /data/agencieshq/shared/config/sphinx.conf
log: /data/agencieshq/shared/log/sphinx.log
query_log: /data/agencieshq/shared/log/sphinx.query.log
pid_file: /data/agencieshq/shared/pids/sphinx.pid
binlog_path: /data/sphinx/binlog