Though, to be perfectly frank, no one should have brought up the patent
issue at all.  If we didn't know about it, and implemented it anyway,
Apple could certainly sue someone, but they'd be more likely to just
settle for a C&D letter that requires the feature's removal.  They might
even not care, it being an OSS project and all.

Now that we know it's possibly patented, it becomes willful
infringement, and if Apple chose to, they could kick some ass, at least
in the US.  Willful infringement carries much larger penalties than
accidental.

This is one of the reason most people will recommend that engineers and
technology innovators not research patents at all.  (Well, up until they
want to actually patent their work, anyway.)

But yeah, IANAL.  This is just shit I've heard.

        -b