On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:05 AM, kilucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm using TW 2.4.1.
>
> Getting Hypergraph to work seemed unexpectedly simple with one
> exception - though maybe I was lucky!. I just imported all the
> Hypergrpah tiddlers listed in the Hypergraph instructions from a copy
> of the Hypergraph TW that I'd extracted from the zip file in which I'd
> downloaded the hypergraph materials. Then  I reloaded my TW and it
> simply worked - as long as the three folders also extracted from the
> zip file were in the same folder as my TW.

The file structure is detailed in the
http://project.dahukanna.net/tiddlywiki/twextensions.htm#DownloadHyperGraphtiddler.
I wrote the documentation to ensure that all dependencies are
clearly identified. If this is not the case please let me know.

> I didn't see any reference in the documentation to the importance of
> having these folders in the same place - though I may simply have been
> unobservant - and initially had copied my TW into all sorts of other
> folders.

see
http://project.dahukanna.net/tiddlywiki/twextensions.htm#DownloadHyperGraph

> The need to keep the TW with the folders is probably obvious
> to technical people but wasn't at all obvious to me. (It only occured
> to me when running experiments with ASciencePad which also needs
> folders nearby. But Hypergraph actually stores the data for the
> displayed maps in these folders whereas ASciencePad only stores
> additional software there I think).

The reason for this is that Hypergraph is actually a Java application that
runs in a browser, all I did was package it into a TiddlyWiki plugin to use
it in a TiddlyWiki.

> I also found that copying the three folders alongside my TW didn't
> always immeditaely fix the problem even if I reloaded my TW - I don't
> understand why. So, if I were doing this again, I would place the
> three hypergraph folders alongside my TW first, then import the
> hypergraph tiddlers, reload the TW and expect to see the default map
> that comes with hypergraph at the top of the TW main page as it does
> in the hypergraph demo file.

Currently, the information about the Tiddlywiki file is saved to the xml
file and then reloaded into the TiddlyWiki by freshing the browser page. I
actually have a tiddlywiki file that I use as a global navigator for all my
tiddlywikis by importing all the xml files. This gets around huge tiddlywiki
performance.

> It took me a while to realise that this was not showing a map of my
> own TW and to realise that the Save XML button or command must be used
> to create new map data (in XML - hence the reference to XML) which the
> map then displays. I initially ignored this because I wasn't
> interested in XML but rather ina  map of my tiddlers. (The map in XML
> is stored in the graphs folder - one of the three folders mentioned
> above). The Save XML button is not immediately available in the newly
> enhanced TW but can be found in the hypergraph Info Plugin I believe
> and presumably can be added to a sidebar menu.
>
> Just as I didn't realise I needed to save XML to see a map of my own
> TW I think other users of my TW wouldn't either. I'm assuming I can
> create a sidebar option labelled something like "refresh tiddler map"
> that would be more meaningful. (The original labelling makes sense if
> you plan to use Hypergraph to draw maps of other things than your
> tiddlers. Examples of these are in the Samples tiddler).
>
> The same Info Plugin also indicates that you can reset the locations
> of the three folders above. I'd assumed I would only fiddle with such
> complex-looking settings if I wanted to do something especially clever
> or unusual with Hypergraph and left these alone without realising
> that, by detaching my TW from the folders, I was effectively creating
> a neeed to change these config settings if hypergraph were to work. It
> was just simpler to put the folders back alongside the TW though for
> now.
>
> I'm encountering some further questions and issues as I trial it but
> am posting them in this newsgroup separately. If you want to use
> Hypergraph, keep an eye on these as I encoiuintered other glitches,
> often caused by conflicts with other tiddlers - one of the joys of
> separately sourced plugins I suppose!
>
> Hoping this helps.
>
> Kevin

I suggest that I get an area on the site that I can use to capture all the
requirements/feedback. I'll announce as soon as I've set it up.

--
http://dahukanna.net