That did indeed nail the language by the look of it. Many thanks
indeed.

The formatting tools still misbehave but I've noted that in a separate
thread so I'll post more information as I have it there.

I'll try the suggested solutions to creating a wysiwyg-tagged tiddler
first though in case the problem is caused by creating a non-wysiwyg
tiddler first and then converting it. (I think ASciencePad first edits
its tiddlers in HTMLArea without prior creation by the standard editor
and its formatting tools appear to work correctly).

Thanks

Kevin