> * and the result is erroneously slid out inside the very header
> tiddler, making the header tiddler expand. I want the resulting slider
> to slide out on in front of everything.

You can use the 'floating sliders' feature of
   http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#NestedSlidersPlugin

syntax:
+++^width^[label|tip]
   content goes here
===

Note use of the ^width^ syntax (where 'width' is any CSS measurement,
e.g., '18em', '200px', etc).  This syntax makes the slider panel
'float' on top of all other content instead of expanding inline.

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools / ELS Design Studios