Duke,

As I understand it, there isn't an easy way to capture HTML from within a
browser without a plug-in--because the javascript can't get access to the
full clipboard data with the HTML in it.

I'd love to be wrong about that, but I worked through this with Drag & Drop
between HTML pages. That uses the clipboard, just like copy & paste: you can
get the source URL and the TXT version of the source content from within
javascript, but not the source HTML. Again... correct me if someone knows
how to do that. Maybe things have changed or I'm just in error.

However, I am working on a plug-in based solution for this, using
TiddlyWiki.  We (SwitchBook) are building a bit more than just a
scrapbooking tool, but one thing we will enable is a way to capture from web
pages and have that auto-import as a Tiddler in a TiddlyWiki hosted in the
explorer (vertical) toolbar for IE on the PC. Eventually, we'll get to
Firefox and then to Mac and Linux. The trick is that we are relying on
access to the browser DOM to get the capture data (and a bunch of behavioral
data as well) so we can render it accurately later. Eventually, we'll be
able to easily do a bunch of cool TiddlyWiki stuff with content captured
from websites, and yes, we'll make it easy to load your own TiddlyWiki app
into the plug-in window, so you can capture to your own TiddlyWiki if that's
what you want to do.

As Mike S. mentions, there are a lot of tricky things to get the captures to
work right. Hopefully we can solve that problem in a way lots of folks can
use.

We are still in development and while we met a bunch of the TiddlyWiki
community at Tiddly West last year, this is really the first introduction to
the community at large.

Hello. =)

You can get a sense of what we are working towards in the following blog
posts. We call it User-driven Search, and there isn't much at our official
website yet.

http://blog.joeandrieu.com/2008/07/12/towards-user-driven-search/

http://blog.joeandrieu.com/2008/07/20/notes-on-user-driven-search/

http://blog.joeandrieu.com/2009/01/19/farewell-google-notebook-move-over-sea
rchwiki-we-need-a-search-map/

We intend to release all of client-side code (Tiddly and Plug-in) as open
source. (Hopefully sooner rather than later.) We'll also release a reference
implementation of the server out under open source.

So, greetings fellow TiddlyWikiers. Nice to meet you all and I'm looking
forward to getting to know more of you.  If you are curious or want to get
involved, drop me a line or post a question to the list. We're fairly open
about what we're trying to do.

Cheers,

-j

--