> I now get the results I want if I omit the first and last brackets in
> my list entry:
> value1]], [[value2
> or even:
> value1]], [[value2]], [[value3

You shouldn't have to play 'tricks' with the brackets.

The problem is that the code that was setting the field value was
automatically adding surrounding [[ and ]] to any value that contained
spaces, so that multi-select listbox will produce valid space-
separated, *bracketed* lists.  However, this logic should not be
applied if a single-select droplist/listbox is being used (i.e.,
'allowMultiple' was not specified).

I've made an update (v1.2.3) to fix this:
   http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#ListboxPlugin
   http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#ListboxPluginInfo

note: after updating, you'll need to go back to your list definitions
and restore the leading and trailing [[ and ]] that you had previously
removed as a work around...

enjoy,
-e