> I am curious why we can't have a macro that would disalbe
> doubleclicking anywhere in the browser when a checkbox is selected and
> enable the dobuleclicking again when the checkbox selection is
> removed.  Would that not work?

Of course it would work.  However, it involves using a plugin to
redefine the core's double-click handler... rather than simply
customizing the standard TW [[ToolbarCommands]] configuration by
removing the leading "+" from the command.  It just seems like it
would be "using a sledgehammer to swat a fly".  Nonetheless, here's
the relevant code (put it in a tiddler tagged 'systemConfig')
----------------------------
if (config.options['chkDoubleClickToEdit']===undefined)
        config.options['chkDoubleClickToEdit']=true;
if (!Story.prototype.onTiddlerDblClick_save) {

Story.prototype.onTiddlerDblClick_save=Story.prototype.onTiddlerDblClick;
        Story.prototype.onTiddlerDblClick = function(ev) {
                if (config.options['chkDoubleClickToEdit'])
                        return
story.onTiddlerDblClick_save.apply(this,arguments);
        }
}
Then, embed
   <<option chkDoubleClickToEdit>> double-click to edit
somewhere in your document, or add something like:
   config.options.chkDoubleClickToEdit=false;
to a tiddler tagged with 'systemConfig' (e.g., [[CookieJar]])

enjoy,
-e