Well, at the very least, I now know $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate/tag is what needs
to be altered.

One possible workaround:
if filtering based off a centralized list doesn't work, could I just alter the
sort instead?

Say, define a new field "tagpriority" and assign a value in this field for the
Tiddler of every tag (ie, go to Tiddlers foo and bar then add the field
tagpriority with a value of 1 and 2 respectively).  Then instead of filtering
by enlist[], filter within [all[current]tags[]] for the presence of this field,
and then sort by the tagpriority value.  (Followed by a second alphabetical
list of all current tags that lack that field).

It would be less elegant to have to assign values to each tag one by one
instead of relying on a central list, but it circumvents needing to rely on
enlist[].

Second (sketchier) idea for a workaround:

As far as I can tell, the main issue here is
filter="[all[current]tags[]] +[enlist{MyTagOrder}]"
DOESN'T return "all current tags that also appear in MyTagOrder" as one might
expect (it always returns the contents of MyTagOrder).

BUT
filter="[all[current]tags[]] -[enlist{MyTagOrder}]"
does return "all current tags, discounting those that appear in MyTagOrder", as
one would expect.

So then could the solution could become to run

<$list filter="[all[current]tags[]] -[enlist{MyTagOrder}] />
and then save this list to a variable instead of printing the output.  Then

<$list filter="[all[current]tags[]] -[enlist<VARIABLENAME>]"
template="$:/core/ui/TagTemplate" storyview="pop"/>
which should return all current tags, minus those in the variable, and the
variable contains all current tags minus those in MyTagOrder.

And so instead of relying on the combination of the + operator and enlist[]
filter, we rely on the - operator twice.  (Of course, I have no idea if one can
use variables and lists this way!)