On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 10:24:35 PM UTC+1, TonyM wrote:

> Can itty.bitty built into tiddlywiki be used to take and preserve a
> snapshot of a rendered tiddler?

It depends, what you mean with "snapshot". For me a snapshot also contains
CSS settings. So if you want to preserve a "pixel perfect" representation
of a tiddler you better go with a screenshot.

The second possibility would be a "static tiddler" eg:
https://tiddlywiki.com/static/TiddlyWiki.html
If you view it's source:
view-source:https://tiddlywiki.com/static/TiddlyWiki.html you'll see, that
the CSS is dynamically "linked" in line 13.
Since it contains everything it is about 60kByte in size.

So if I would want to preserve a snapshot of this combination I'd use git,
because it is designed to deal with multi-file diffs.

> it would compress the result and allow review in a new tab or iframe. It
> could also generate static html pages where we can use the browser save as
> to save the result to file or even inside a tiddler using view source.

I think a snapshot is only interesting, if you can compare it with a
previous version of the same thing. So you can see the differences. I'm
only interested in the differences, so there is no need to store the whole
thing 2 times. IMO it's much more efficient to only store the differences.

... TW already contains a diff-match-patch tool, that allows us to annotate
differences between 2 tiddlers. I'd use this tool
<https://tiddlywiki.com/#DiffTextWidget>, or the underling libs, which is
already part of the core.

just some thoughts
mario