> What I want is some way to find all tiddlers that contain a field where
> the field's entire value matches "Constitution Class" (or whatever other
> string I throw at it), rather than enlisting every fields' contents to find
> the value.

Based on the above statement... and using the example values you indicated,
this should do what you want:
<$list filter="[craft_class[Constitution Class]]">
   <<currentTiddler>><br>
</$list>

More generically, you could write a macro like this:
\define getAllMatches(fieldname,fieldvalue)
<$list filter="[$fieldname$[$fieldvalue$]]">
   <<currentTiddler>><br>
</$list>
\end

which you would invoke as:
<<getAllMatches "craft_class" "Constitution Class">>

> *I do not want any more plugins.  Please do not suggest one.*

This little message seems quite harsh... especially repeated twice,
and in bold text, on every message you post.

If you don't want plugins, you could just say:
"I'm looking for a native TW5 way to solve this without using a plugin"

The people in this group are a helpful bunch and are generally willing
to put in quite a bit of effort to solve other people's problems.

Rather than telling them what kind of solutions you will accept,
just ask for help finding ANY solution to your problem.

Then, if someone offers a solution that involves a plugin,
and you don't want plugins, just politely ignore that solution.

-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools.com: "Small Tools for Big Ideas! (tm) -
http://www.TiddlyTools.com (TWClassic)
InsideTiddlywiki - http://www.TiddlyTools.com/InsideTW (TW5)