You can keep the commands by making  separate toolbars for edting and
viewing using hideWhen.
Remove the edit command from the viewing toolbar.

This is one of Simon Baird's bits of code.

<!-- regular toolbar for me  -->
deleteTiddler
 fields'></div>

Googling the above code returns some TiddlyWiki websites, all using his
code. (Searching code, interesting way to see the variety)

http://www.jasonbeerman.com/
http://www.analekta.co.uk/
http://www.vaginismus-onderzoek.nl/
http://www.gracechurch.org.uk/gracechurch.htm