Hi,

There is one more problem with the <<qualify>> macro, which is different to
your description. ... and I'll try to create a PR which fixes it soon.

*Problem*: Whenever an existing core utility uses <<qualify xxx>> macro
human users are screwed, if they want to provide a "user state" which is
already unique.

... eg: <<tabs>> macro.

The tabs macro has a signature like this:

\define
tabs(tabsList,default,state:"$:/state/tab",class,template,buttonTemplate,retain)

The default *state* parameter is set to $:/state/tab. This makes it
convenient for new users, since they don't need to deal with state
uniqueness. Later in the code it looks like this:

<$button set=<<qualify "$*state*$">> ....
<$reveal type="match" state=<<qualify "$*state*$">> ...

But now the problem is: If I do want to call the tabs macro like so:

<<tabs state:"human/predictable/unique/state" .... >> ... The tabs macro
will screw it !!!

This problem was introduced with the introduction of the <<qualify>> macro.
.. What we need is <<qualify title:xxxx isUnique:yes>> which tells the
macro, that the incoming title is already unique and it should use it.

This won't solve your OP problems, but it may probably solve some for
Tony's.

I'll try to create a PR for this very soon.

have fun!
mario