Hi Tony

> I have recently being working on both tiddlywiki and other websites and
> specifically global fixed headers. I also use a site builder which provides
> some settings tiddlywiki's page layout could do with. For example if we could
> set the space at the top in or under a heading that will remain fixed so we
> can introduce menus and tabs including top left and right, above story and
> other content under which scrolling the story will scroll behind and will be
> recognised as top of story so once sticky titles work a new top can be set.

Extra space at the top of the story river can be added in a number of ways via
CSS (eg padding-top on the body element). The challenge is that the menu bar
can chance in height according to what entries are enabled, and so I’m looking
for the best solution that can dynamically respond to changes in the toolbar
height, rather than just setting a fixed offset.

> The issue here is we need your leadership on the page elements and
> customizability because its a fundamental part of tiddlywiki structure. If we
> have the design flexibility plugins are less likely to interfere with each
> other.

Not entirely. The core is constrained to innovate carefully because of
backwards compatibility, until we decide to make an update that breaks
compatibility. In the meantime, innovation in TW page layouts can be found in
the work of Thomas, Riz and others.
> The ability to alter the width of the dropdowns, perhaps a % or a
> minimum/maximum width
That can be done by CSS, and they are indeed set to a maximum size that’s a
percentage of the available space.
> The ability to set the dropdowns justification so a right hand top drop down
> opens left and does not force scroll right
I think the best solution here is that on narrow screens the dropdowns should
expand to fill nearly all the available space, enabling content scrolling if
necessary.
> Set new top for sticky titles
See above.
> Can we have content in the menu bar that remains, without collapsing into the
> hamburger, eg site title? this is valuable space on a mobile.
Yes, just add a menu item with the field "show-when” set to “narrow”.
> A Dropdown menu option would be a nice reusable element we can use elsewhere,
> eg in toolbars, tiddlers.
The dropdowns are the same standard ones as we use elsewhere in TW5.

Best wishes

Jeremy