I'm experimenting with MainTiddlyServer as an option as it will never
depend on browsers & extensions etc and works locally and remotely with a
single 70k file. https://yakovl.github.io/MainTiddlyServer/index.html
It works like a dream on my remote server. On my local server I got 2 kinds
of error messages, but because I understand php I was able to fix them.
They didn't affect functionality however.

To run it locally you need php installed. I've opted for installing php
alone & using its internal server so that I don't need to run apache.