Oh man do I hear you...

I used to use the file backup from pmario and it's worked for me for years,
however, broke to the point that effectively I had to click through to save
the file- and backup-save every time by hand.

That however completely broke down when moving on to FF74 (I'm a fan of
up-to-date-apps).

However, I found that:
A) closing tiddlers / build-in save-function reliably saves the file every
single time,
B) hitting "command-s" (since it's a Mac), choosing the "right" backup-file
to replace + enter does it just as well. In fact with considerably less
hassle.

I use the "tower of Hanoi"-method with backups from A to E and just tick
off the on a piece of paper.

Far from ideal (and I find amazing to think that such a great piece of
software lacks THIS really really - from the consumer perspective, because
that's all I CAN be - functionality) but it works well enough for me, in
fact better than the extension...

I have been at the brink of "leaving TW behind" a number of times over the
years ONLY because of that.
Only reason (at times) I didn't: no competitor for me (running a server for
a wiki or so is not an option for me).
I have invested A LOT of time in "my" file. It's become very dear and I
take no chances as far as backups are concerned.
I'm also backing up the backups, believe me, you do not ever want to be in
that kind of pain to lost this much of work....

Hope that helps.