Hi Tony,

Yea, I was thinking about a "universal private network". ... eg:
https://www.zerotier.com/

I think it uses a very interesting approach and has client software for PC,
Mac, IOS and Android and it also works for synology NAS systems.
see: https://www.zerotier.com/download/

There is a recent article with some more info and screenshots:
https://www.spikefishsolutions.com/post/setting-up-remote-access-during-a-crisis

The only thing, that kept me away was, that you have to use their server to
configure the stuff. It is used to help the devices to find each other.

But reading more about the underlying concepts is seems they use end to end
encryption on OSI layer 1, which they call VL1, since the whole thing
creates a new virtual Ethernet device. Still not sure who stores the
private keys. .. So a little bit more to read for the "paranoia guy" like
me ;)

So the whole network is a VPN-like transparent network that can be used
from all over the world. ...

Would be really worth a try.

BUT the addresses would still have the :8080 port bit ;) ... But all your
network "juggling" would go away.

have fun!
mario