I've thought of a workaround. Sometimes all a seemingly complex problem
needs is a break and fresh eyes to realize it's not as complex as you're
making it!

> How does the system know it is an unfinished tiddler (so the transclusion
> can be applied)? What is the difference between an unfinished and finished
> tiddler?

Ideally with a tag. I plan on using 'incomplete' for any tiddler left
unfinished. I also wanted an array of in-line messages that were easy to
see, all of which would tag anything that transcludes them they same way.
These messages would describe the nature of incompleteness. I have no idea
what these would include. That's the first sign I'm on the wrong track.

Fundamentally my issue is that I want to have an easy way to organize what
I need to finish. That's made difficult by the way I'd like to do it: a
very visible manner which automatically updates a list of tiddlers that
have the same need for completion.

Moving forward, I'll be applying an incomplete tag to anything as I begin
it and remove that tag afterwards. Simple problems require the simplest
solutions!