The node executable itself should never write to disk, unless instructed to
do so with the fs module, and I'm not aware of any operations that write to
a temp directory either.

The npm installation is separate and definitely scatters files in quite a
few places, although this can be restricted using npm settings.

TiddlyServer may write to a temp directory if you upload files (it uses the
formidable library) but then it moves the file to the correct directory
using the rename command, so it would only be left there if the upload
fails part way thorough. Other than that, TiddlyServer never writes to any
directory not specified in settings.json (whether that's a tree path,
backup directory, or log file). It does write to a file called
uncaughtException.log if there is an uncaught exception, which is always in
the installation directory.

I am not aware that Node TiddlyWiki writes to anywhere outside of the data
folder. But it would depend on which plugins are loaded. Each plugin has
its own characteristics, but for the most part, it should not write
anywhere outside the data folder. That should be true of all the stock
plugins.

Hope that helps.