Thanks for the pointer ... I wasn't aware of how to identify the tiddlers
being imported ... listing the field:plugin-type[import] and acting on them
with a tm-tag-add message might be a feasible thread to pull on to do what
I want in at least a semi-automatic way.

Will have to do a deep dive into $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate/import and
$:/core/ui/ImportListing to see if I can decipher it all. Hooking into the
import functionality of the $browse button macro contained in a particular
tiddler is my priority. Getting drag and drop working on a tiddler is
secondary.

Thanks again,
/Mike