Im surprised nobody has brought up putting it into a macro:

\define myTrans() {{$(tid)$!!$(field)$}}

<$vars tid=... field=... >
<<mytrans>>
</$vars>

Apropos what Eric wrote:

> >...</div>

Ha ha!!! It's fantastic that there IS a way but it is also fantastic how
overly complex we sometimes are forced to make things.

Again, I'd instead propose a macro (which, of course, is also a workaround)
like so

\define myDiv() <div class="$(class)$" style="color:$(color)$" >...</div>

<$vars class=... color=...>
<<myDiv>>
</$vars>

<:-)