Thanks guys, your input is much appreciated!

Unfortunately I don't see how it can work in my context:

I'm enhancing the SideEditor <http://sideeditor.tiddlyspot.com/> where it
is already possible to edit macros, i.e the macro content is copied into a
temporary tiddler which is what is really being edited and then, clicking
'save', this is copied back into the macro. This is what causes the
refresh. But, the very distinction between what is a macro vs an ordinary
tiddler is, of course, the very macro tag. So if this is removed, it will
disqualify itself.
Somewhat simplified:

<$list filter="""[<currentTiddler>tag[$:/tags/Macro]]""">
   <$button>
      <$action-setfield
       $tiddler=<<<currentTiddler>>>
       text={{$:/temp/SideEditor/macrotext}} />
      SET
   </$button>
</$list>

...any ideas?