I am also interested in recording people and families in TW. I'll refrain
from calling what I do genealogy - I just collect information, pictures,
and stories from family members and bits I find online. I'm not too
concerned about the stories being perfectly factual and write most entries
(tiddlers) in a free-form format with manual links to parents and children.
This does not lend itself to producing trees or graphs, or even generated
lists.

I did write a script in the Ruby language to convert a gedcom to a
TiddlyWiki. It works acceptably well. Only thing is the wiki is no longer
human editable which is important if I want to get other people involved in
the data entry and editing.

Creating diagrams or trees is extremely useful though and something I'd
like to do.  I also think going straight to graphs is putting the cart
before the horse.  There needs to be a system on place for recording basic
facts about a person - relationships, relationship types, dates, locations,
events, notes, sources, and so on. GEDCOM is the defacto standard for this.
It's a fairly flexible format which is why I think it has survived over
time, although it is not without issues. Such a system might include:

* a standard format for recording facts as fields
* standard formats for recording dates, locations, names in fields
* a set of templates for displaying and editing  people and families
* a set of helper macros to "add new person", "add person as child", "add
as parent", etc.
* more macros to calculate relationships between people (Person A and
Person B are 2nd cousins)
* probably a lot more

It may be even possible to offer import and export of simplified gedcom
files but only if said standards were rigidly adhered to.

It's a big job, and genealogy is complicated and messy.  People and their
relationships don't fit neatly in compartments. All of which makes me
wonder if the use of TW is even a viable option.

Sorry this turned into something of a random thoughts rant. Need to run,
tho.

Thoughts?