Seems we're taking different paths on this :-)

Here are my latest results
http://groupies.tiddlyspot.com/
(username=password=groupies)

I think it has a decent interface.
The one problem is still how to *not* list items that are tagged with
a grouptiddlers name
.
You mentioned MatchTagsPlugin and I can see that you're using it in
your version but it's a bit above my understanding.
For instance, in the following;
<<matchTags {{"<<tiddler CheckboxToggleTag with: $2 [[$1]] %0\>\>

...what is {{ ? Is it some kind of alternative parenthesis?
and what what comes out from the <<tiddler CheckboxToggleTag>> here?

Thank you!