Iain,

In retrospect I felt my post was too abstruse as it was. To go into
Foucault, Derrida, and the whole "postmodernist turn" felt way too off-topic
for this forum. But if you want to correspond in the back channel I'd be
happy to chat.

Since my dissertation is about the "relational dimension" as concerns
"knowledge management," I unfortunately must tackle the whole question of
"what is knowledge?" This hasn't been settled in thousands of years and I
doubt that I will come to a clear conclusion.

Part of the problem is that deconstructionists come at the world as a "text"
to be "deconstructed".  The average business executive comes at the world
with a largely objectivist, naive view of knowledge. Since knowledge
management is supposed to be a practical discipline, we have to mediate
between those extreme views, and I've chosen the word "relational" to
provide a teeter-totter between them.

I'm afraid that's as much as I can say without a cup of coffee!

Regards,

Neil

Neil Olonoff   olon...@gmail.com
Lead, Federal Knowledge Management Initiative,
Federal KM Working Group hosted at  http://KM.gov
Office:  703.614.5058 (US Army HQDA, G-4/Contracted by Innolog)
Mobile: 703.283.4157 (Disabled during working hours)
Personal profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/olonoff
Blogging at http://FedKM.org