I'm afraid I don't quite understand the flow chart.

But here ...

 I wondered if there might be a way to dodge having to deal with wikitext
> all the time and just make templates with editable fields. But then I
> realized I didn't really want the fields to look editable all the time
> since, for one thing, that tends to take up more space.

 you could either have your editable template fields hidden/displayed by a
button, or you could have a main configuration tiddler that would be used
to determine if the editable fields were displayed or not.

I'm not sure why the JSON editor would be required, but perhaps your
character data is already in JSON format??