With both my nodejs and single file wikis I import images normally and then
occasionally run a script that moves them to an external directory and
creates a placemarker tiddler with a canonical uri:

#!/bin/bash

myyear=$(date +"%Y")
mymonth=$(date +"%m")

tiddlywiki --save [is[image]!tag[header-img]!moved[yes]]
[addprefix[./images/$myyear/$mymonth/]] \ # moves image to directory based
on year/month
           --setfield [is[image]!tag[header-img]!moved[yes]] _canonical_uri
$:/blog/templates/canonical-uri-external-image text/plain

tiddlywiki --setfield [is[image]!moved[yes]] text
$:/blog/templates/empty_text text/plain \
           --setfield [is[image]!moved[yes]] moved
$:/blog/templates/moved_field text/plain

Setting a field to 'moved' is crucial because otherwise tiddlywiki will
perform this operation on an emptied image and overwrite the original.

So locally you could move the files to a synced folder or on a server it
might be a bit more complicated.