I am professionally concerned by a11y problems, checking website or webapps
for compliance to WCAG rules. Being French, this means following RGAA for
me, but this is only a facilitating tool for WCAG.

Whatever. I came upon two points that meant my support tw for RGAA stuff,
being in French, should mention that outer links to WCAG stuff be in
French. The standards linking doesn't allow for this. I wrote my own macro
to elaborated a custom <a> link. But definitely, if I had to recover all
the specifics of the standard linking mechanism, my macro would have been
much more complex! So I think the standard markup (or at least the $link
widget) should allow for specifying the language of the linked page.

BTW, my (crude!) macro:

\define enLink(label, url) <a href="$url$" lang="en">$label$</a>

an example of use (not too much of a hassle to write compared with
[[label|url]] indeed):

<<enLink "WAI-ARIA 1.1 Authoring Practices"
"https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.1/";>>

(where it was shown I didn't need anything else for accessibility
requirements for the kind of links I used within my project)