Yes, GitHub is for programmer, so getting used to it takes a little time.
But I am sure you will overcome all these issues.
The tutorial you have used is a TW+GitHub page, so yes you can setup a
whole website with multi wikis with single web address and let any reader
just know the address visit your pages no worry at all.

I use public repo and free GitHub services! but you can have private repo!
as much as I know GitHub pages work for public repo.