David, I see my efforts as complementary to The-Book. At least as it was
when I last took a look at it, The-Book is focused mostly on how the
internal bits of TiddlyWiki fit together and can be customized, although it
does include scattered mentions of more basic concepts. Reading my book
would prepare you to move on to The-Book if you had more advanced
customization needs than I plan to cover – I'll point out things like
global macros, CSS, view/edit/page templates, adding buttons, etc., but
won't get too deep into them or try to list out all the possible hooks. I
won't get very far into JavaScript either (partly because I don't know it
very well, lol).

The videos are an interesting idea. I tend to be biased against videos as a
learning method myself, just because for whatever reason my brain doesn't
get along that well with video in general (I don't even watch movies or TV
for entertainment more than once a month or so). But I recognize a lot of
people find them very helpful, and I've done screencasts before and don't
mind recording them. Perhaps it could be a future add-on to the book (maybe
a premium version? hmm). I'm not convinced it would be easier to update,
though. I've been here before, and if the interface changes significantly
you pretty much have to re-record the whole video. In a book you can just
rewrite the relevant sentences. For the same reason, I try to put as few
screenshots in my documentation as possible.

@ludwa6, I like this idea of layers or rings of TiddlyWiki knowledge. I
don't think there's space to fit a "reading TiddlyWikis on the internet"
portion into this book the way it's structured, so that's a space for
someone else to fill, but assuming that you want to have a TiddlyWiki and
edit it, I hope my chapter divisions will help with this. To the extent
that I am able while also keeping related content together, I'm trying to
build it so you can reasonably stop studying at any point when you've
learned what you need for the time being, and come back later (or never).
I've explicitly called that out in the introduction.

The chapters right now are:

   1. "The Shape of TiddlyWiki" (tiddlers, fields, links, tags, creating
   tiddlers and dividing things into tiddlers)
   2. "Filing and Organizing" (searching, browsing tiddlers, choosing
   titles, creating tables of contents)
   3. "Filtering and Formatting" (filters, brief introduction to HTML and
   widgets, creating lists)
   4. "Macros, Variables, and Transclusions" (self-explanatory)
   5. "More Organizational Tools" (everything that didn't fit in 2-4,
   including ordering lists, filters with multiple runs, attachments, tabs,
   and data tiddlers) – this is the only chapter I'm concerned about from an
   ordering perspective right now, and I'll keep thinking about it; some might
   be able to move into 2 now that I've split 2 and 3 up
   6. "Looking Under the Hood" (system tiddlers, plugins, putting things in
   TiddlyWiki's interface by tagging them appropriately, input widgets and
   buttons, a couple of projects)
   7. "Getting Technical" (JavaScript macros, creating plugins, CSS,
   Node.JS)

Plus front matter, supplemental exercises, resources, and a couple of short
appendices.

I don't want to derail this thread by steering it into a critique of the
chapter divisions, but if you see anything that looks terribly wrong, let
me know.