Hi, Rahul.

I don't know if I get you right, but in my eyes, you could attain
non-linearity by having each of your sections, subsections, equations,
figures, tables, lists, etc be individual tiddlers which you can tag and
transclude, independently of the use of Latex formatting in the text field.

If I understood correctly the advice by "Javier Rojas", a lot of custom
formatting can be achieved by using html and css. So for the time being I
am now trying to learn how to do just that, because my work does NOT
include special notations (like Phonetic notation). If I hit the wall then
I'll come again here and ask.

But our needs may differ. if you need some complex formattings -the likes
of math or chem notation- I canĀ“t think of an alternative to Latex.  In
this context I found the link provided by "Ste" very useful.

The demo linked by "TW Tones" shows a whole universe of plugins, which I am
slowly trying to explore. Take a look... maybe there is something for you
there.

I have never tried auto-numbering, but if  each of your sections,
subsections, equations, figures tables and lists are different tiddlers,
then maybe all you need would be some kind of plugin which can calculate a
numbering and place it on a field which you can then show as you see fit. I
wonder if a plugin with such functionality exists.

Wish you a nice day.