Amy,

You said  *I'm concerned about using too many tags for big concepts and
slowing down my wiki. *
I don't think you need to be concerned, first see here performance
<https://tiddlywiki.com/#Performance> and if your wiki does slow down and
you have tried these just ask and there are various ways to support
performance. Make it do what you want, with gay abandon, with a little
caution not to make poor performance choices and there is plenty you can do
if it does slow down.

You can move tags to their own fields etc... to reduce the reliance on tags
anyway.

TiddlyWiki takes a very large data set or complex macros before you start
to need to redesign and you can easily. Focus on what you want, need and
dream of first. The rest is just details.

Tones