Welcome Jeremi

I've been looking into using TiddlyWiki to create an online instructional
> manual

Shold be perfect for it.

> 1) When the TW is published to the web, can anyone edit it and change it
> (a big problem for obvious reasons).

Yes and no. Or I should say No and yes because it is more "no". If you use
the standard way that TW is designed, visitors can edit it but not save
changes to your server. But it is fairly easy to remove the editing
possibilities e.g the "edit" button. But if you make a public wiki you'll
not want the edit button and some other stuff to show anyway, like some of
the sidebar stuff. So you'll have to tweak it regardless.

> 2) ... I want to use TW in a VERY linear fashion, am I making more work
> for myself than by just using other software tools?

Hm, if you really mean "VERY" then, yeah, TW is not the thing.  But what do
you actually mean with "VERY linear fashion"? You can easily make, say, a
bunch of tiddlers appear as a monolithic and linear group (use transclusion
in a wrapping tiddler). But it is not a "word document".

3) How well does TW play with Javascript? I want to implement an open
> source image compression algorithm that ...

You can package the JS into and make it work. (I don't know how, but people
do it.) But why would you do image compression in TW? If your intention is
to *show *images in TW you should note that they are best not stored in the
very TW file because it bloats the file and makes it slow to load. Instead
images are stored elsewhere and shown in the TW.

<:-)