On Monday, February 8, 2021 at 3:41:48 PM UTC+1 jbigos...@ncc.commnet.edu
wrote:

3) How well does TW play with Javascript? I want to implement an open
> source image compression algorithm that doesn't yet have major browser
> support. The only way to use it at the moment is to wrap the image in a
> javascript script. For those interested, I want to use this:
> https://flif.info/

TW plays well with JS, if you know how to do it. It is more advanced as
adding a script to a static page. TW is highly interactive and the "visual
elements" can be redrawn anytime. ... So you probably will need a new
widget, that can deal with your image format.

FLIF will probably _never_ be supported by major browsers, since it is
superseded by JPEG XL <https://jpeg.org/jpegxl/> which seems to be ISO
standard now. According to the "tracking bugs" browsers are focusing on
JPEG XL.

There seems to be a FLIF browser polyfill, that can be used. ... I did play
a little bit with the polyifll demo page. The advantage of the FLIF file
format seems to be, that it can "partially" download the image and still
show something. ... The polyfill seems to always download the whole file.
.. So IMO there will be no advantage.

The github-flif page says, that development has stopped
<https://github.com/FLIF-hub/FLIF>. ... So for me it doesn't make too much
sense to use this file format, except you absolutely have too.

Is there a reason, why you want to use FLIF? ... Or is it just a "want to
have"?

-mario