It would helpful to determine what the default behaviour of TW on node.js
is for _canonical_uri tiddlers and saving to file.

On Windows 10, latest Chrome and using latest pre-release with the server
edition and no plugins, I tried manually creating a tiddler with:
- title: test.png
- type: image/png,
- and an arbitrary _canonical_uri value of files/test.png

In the tiddlers directory I get a 0 bytes file test.png and test.png.meta.
I am not sure if the 0 byte expected behaviour on node.js for canonical_uri
tiddlers or something new in 5.1.23

Using [img[test.png]] in another tiddler, the img is correctly resolved to
have a src attribute files/test.png, both before and after restarting the
node server.

So I cannot reproduce the problem. It could be OS specific.

It is worth considering that 5.1.23 had significant changes to the file
saving code, so there may have been a regression.
Also I am using the latest pre-release, which might be relevant as at least
one bugfix since 5.1.23 seems to deal with missing text fields of tiddlers,
see https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/5416/files

If you can confirm that creating a _canonical_uri tiddler by hand works
well for you on node.js, that will help narrow down whether this is a core
issues or a plugin issue.

Regards,
Saq