jonligh...@gmail.com wrote:

> ... I found that old tiddlers that had settled to the bottom of the stream
> and were rarely 'caught' were not tagged as well as they could be simply
> because lots of tags did not exist when they were written and I suppose
> their were fewer tiddlers to link to.
>
> Going with the fishing in the 'stream' analogy ...
>
> I am finding that part of *the benefit of the random option*  (TT's added
> emphasis )is that these tiddlers are now appearing now and then at the
> surface of the stream and this is a a great opportunity to add newer tags
> that did not exist when they were written, if they 'deserve' it then they
> get more links and tags and 'come back to life' by being better connected.

In the spirit of discussion ...

I absolutely agree the problematic you describe occurs and RANDOMness is a
very viable and good salve for it.

Essentially it is *cognitive* issue. Learning is often serendipitous.
Associational-ism is a common human cognitive pattern. Cross-connections *(i.e.
this should be labelled that!),* in particular, often occur frequently from
RE-seeing something in a NEW context (in your case via a special "random"
ignition).

In short, the stochastic
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stochastic#:~:text=Stochastic%20(from%20Greek%20%CF%83%CF%84%CF%8C%CF%87%CE%BF%CF%82%20(st%C3%B3khos,by%20a%20random%20probability%20distribution.>

is essential in learning and information design.

Just BTB, "structured randomness" has been and is used extensively in
creative writing. Think: William Burroughs.
And in creative thought generation. Think: Edward de Bono.

Just thoughts
TT